[78-L] The King's Speech

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Mar 28 21:35:31 PDT 2011

Edward had a stuttering problem. The movie is centered around the
relationship he had with his therapist, who used unconventional
therapies and methods. There's plenty of phonographs and period electronics.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if this is a typo or what but the movie is obviously about King
George, not King Edward, (I have a copy of it on DVD from a questionable source
but haven't watched it yet).

I was lucky enough several years ago to stumble onto a collection of 78s from a
person who seems to have collected every Royal speech he could find - most if
not all of the ones Mike Biel mentioned on special royal EMI labels, along with
a speech about Sportsmanship by Edward VIII as Prince of Wales and a George V
silver jubilee presentation.  These recordings were all in pristine condition.
 Since I copied many of these to CD a couple of years ago, here is a list of the
speeches I found:

CD 1: Pre 1925 to 1936

1 George V & Queen Mary - Pre 1925
2 Message from George V - July 1 1927
3 Portion of speech by W. L. M. King - July 1 1927
4 "Sportsmanship", Prince of Wales, (future Edward VIII), date unknown
5 King George V - Oct. 10, 1928
6 Welcome to the King and Queen, May 6, 1935
7 George V Silver Jubilee message, May 6, 1935
8 George V, Speech in Westminster Hall, May 9, 1935
9 George V, December 25, 1935

10 King Edward VIII, Message to the Empire - March 1, 1936
11 Farewell to the Empire, Duke of Windsor - December 11, 1936

CD 2: 1937 - 1944

1 God Save the King, arr. Walford Davies, as performed at the Coronation, May
12, 1937
2 George VI, Message to the Empire, Coronation Day, May 12, 1937
3 George VI, Christmas Message, 1937
4 A Message to the Women of the British Empire, Queen Elizabeth, (the Queen
Mother), Nov. 11 1939
5 George VI, Christmas Message, 1939
6 Air Battle over the English Channel, an eye-witness account by Charles
Gardner, July 14, 1940
7 George VI, Message to the Empire, Sept. 23, 1940, (an air-raid siren is
apparent in the background)
8 A Broadcast Message to Children, H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth and Princess
Margaret, Oct. 13, 1940
9 George VI, Christmas message, 1940
10 George VI, Christmas message, 1944

CD 3: 1945 - 1953

1 Winston Churchill, End of the war in Europe, May 8, 1945
2 George VI, "Today we give thanks", May 8, 1945
3 George VI, Royal Silver Wedding message, April 26, 1948
4 H. M. Queen Elizabeth, (Queen mother), Royal Silver Wedding message, April 26,
1948
5 George VI, Opening of the Festival of Britain, May 3, 1951
6 George VI, Christmas message 1951, (The King, obviously very ill, gives his
last recorded address less than two months before his death.)

7 God Save the Queen, (arr. Gordon Jacob), as performed at the Coronation, June
3, 1953
8 Queen Elizabeth II, message to the Empire, Coronation Day, June 3, 1953

db