[78-L] King Edward VIII 1936 Farewell Speech

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Mar 28 18:15:53 PDT 2011

On 3/28/2011 6:55 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 3/28/2011 2:01, Michael Biel wrote:
>> On 3/28/2011 12:40 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:
>>> Are there sources for this speech other than commercial 78 records?
>>>
>>> Sammy Jones
>> There is a hi-fi recording on the BBC website, but I can't find the link
>> right now.
>>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/edward_viii/12937.shtml

Yes, isn't this a wonderful sounding recording!  After hearing the
short-waved broadcast for 50 years it is great hearing this.  There is
an album that was the British answer to the first I Can Hear It Now that
was on 78s (Oriole?) but I have on LP, the speeches of Brits like
Churchill are hi fi but FDR and other Americans are often short-wave
quality!

This BBC site also has some of Geo VI speeches including the Sept 3,
1939 speech
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/ww2outbreak/7918.shtml
but I haven't found the coronation speech yet.  They have Elizabeth's
wedding but neither her or her father's coronations,  but both of those
were issued on HMV.

They do have the broadcast by Richard Dimbleby of Chamberlain's airport
return with peace in our time.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/ww2outbreak/7907.shtml
It confirms what I had previously read -- this was TELEVISED!!!  Check
at 1:08 into the recording when he says that "those of you who are
looking as well as listening to this can see her (the plane) coming down
. . ."  It is interesting that the label for channel says "unknown".
This also was on an HMV record and I wonder if this part of the
narration is on the record.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com