[78-L] King Edward VIII 1936 Farewell Speech

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Mar 28 12:01:58 PDT 2011

On 3/28/2011 12:40 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:
> Are there sources for this speech other than commercial 78 records?
>
> Sammy Jones
There is a hi-fi recording on the BBC website, but I can't find the link
right now.

When I had access to the WCAU Philadelphia archive, the earliest two
station-recorded discs were of the speech.  The first was the original
live airing from CBS and the recording starts with the final two or
three strikes of Big Ben.  The other disc is the station's replay of the
speech later that evening.  After the explanatory announcement, they
played it from the other disc -- and WOWED THE BELL!!!  It starts out
low and slowly gets up to speed!  Really funny!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com