[78-L] books on western swing

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 14:18:51 PDT 2011

Three paths led me to western swing when I lived in Austin during and just
after college.  The first was Cream's version of "Sitting on Top of the
World" which took me to Bob Will's (and ultimately to older) versions.  The
second was the three volume Old Timey western swing compilation which I
still treasure.  The third--I remember the release day of the "For the Last
Time" lp and how much attention that got on Austin radio and on that day
hearing the djs also playing many of the originals to remind us where the
songs came from.

So now I happily take the view of Brown being the father of western swing
and glad to argue with anybody that Wills is the uncle of western swing.  A
Great Uncle but still...............