[78-L] books on western swing

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 01:35:15 PDT 2011

Bill McClung wrote:
> Thanks.  I didn't list "San Antonio Rose" because Cary mentioned it and I
> didn't think I needed to.  It is a valuable book and Cary is very
> gracious in the ways he refers to Mr. Townsend in his Milton Brown book.
> But I still think the book on the history of western swing is still to be
> written.  It is such a rich music.  It is the comfort music I always seem to
> fall back on when I get tired of others.
======================
It's the sheer exuberance and enthusiasm that gets to me. How many bands
in other genres could enter a recording studio for the first time and
reel off perhaps twenty performances in one day? No studio nerves there!

Before I got interested in western swing in the mid-1970s I barely knew
anything about it and other country music. I'd heard of Bob Wills, but
never heard him and I'd probably heard Jimmie Rodgers, and thought that
that was all there was. Correction, also The Sons of the Pioneers'
"Tumbling Tumbleweed". It was Tony Russell's String label reissues and
the Bill Boyd Bluebird double that got me hooked.

       Julian Vein