[78-L] Was it staged? - 1906 film of a cable car ride

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Mar 24 12:02:59 PDT 2011

"Rope" wasn't a big deal because there were only a few people in the film, which took place in one apartment front room. Just Jimmy Stewart, Farley Granger, and John Dall. Not nearly as complex as a street scene with extras, vehicles, and a constantly moving crane with the camera. It's the coordination of all of the extras, not the length of the exposure that causes the problem that leads me to believe that the 1906 was probably more spontaneous than some might think. I watched it again, and I'm wondering if the one guy wearing the bowler hat in the open motor car - with the steering wheel on the right side, was merely circling around the cable car, following it. He may have been hired by the cameraman to watch out for possible interferences from pedestrians, bystanders, etc., rather than to "pump up" the busyness of the street. We will never know for sure. It is incredible to realize how many of the people in that film would die in the next few from the earthquake and that all of the buildings we see in the film were pulverized.

Cary Ginell