[78-L] A Dropped Title and Eugene Jaudas

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 21 21:13:00 PDT 2011

 Thanks!  I'm glad to have some info on Jaudas, but sad about his story - especially when it wouldn't have cost Edison a
dime to have a glowing letter of recommendation written or find him a dignified job somewhere at Edison Inc.

  I really enjoy most of the Jaudas Society Orchestra recordings, and feel that they were unique.  The other phono companies
were still using mostly bands for dance music (or threw in a couple of screechy Stroh violins & called that an "orchestra")
while Jaudas was using a piano and banjo for rhythm, real violins, flute, snare drum, etc etc - even the occasional harp.
The banjoist was quite good, sometimes so prominent that it almost qualified as an extended solo. Playing it like a mandolin
on some waltz numbers (Waters of Venice, for example) was a nice effect.   Any idea who he was?

 Anyway, I have an idea that if you went to a high-class 1916 NYC hotel which had a good-sized orchestra, you'd hear
something like Eugene Jaudas' Society Orchestra.   Oh, he and Charles D'Almaine were pretty good fiddlers, too.