[78-L] "Slip Mat" (was ePay)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Mar 21 12:15:47 PDT 2011

Could be a felt pad that goes on a turntable to enable a DJ to "slip-cue" a record. Slip-cueing is much more difficult when using the usual rubber covering on a platter, so a felt pad was often placed on top of it. Slip-cueing is the "art" of holding a record in place while the platter spins underneath it, enabling the DJ to start a reccord quicker, as opposed to hitting "start" and waiting for the platter to pick up speed.

I hadn't thought about this in years, but in my DJ-ing days, it became second nature.

Cary Ginell