[78-L] Phil Spector on 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 19 08:36:06 PDT 2011

I just picked an interesting 78 from 1962 pressed in the Philippines. It is

(US) Columbia 42617 -- Philippines (pressed by Mareco Inc)
Some of Your Lovin' b/w There's a Time
by Emil O'Connor

This is soul offering, some may call it northern soul, with a sound
somewhat similar to Money by Barrett Strong. BTW -- label is a 78
proportionately sized version of the Columbia 45 label -- boxed
COLUMBIA in an arc with a walking eye at the end. The US 45 was
catalog 4-42617, and the matrix is similar, only difference is that
45 is RZSP 70956 and the 78 is HCO 70956.

Apart from being a 1962 78, here's what makes it interesting. Some of
Your Loving is co-written by Phil Spector, the producer is Terry
Melcher (aka Terry Day), and the arranger is Jack Nitzsche. Phil had
previously produced the track for a Johnny Nash release on ABC
Paramount the year before.

This all got me to thinking about Phil Spector stuff on 78. As is
well known, To Know Him is To Love Him by the Teddy Bears was on a
Dore 78 in Canada and on 78 via London in the UK and South Africa.
The Teddy Bears' Imperial stuff was on 78 in Canada.

One can assume that Phil's productions in 1961 for Gene Pitney on
Musicor made it 78 in Philippines. Same goes for productions on
Atlantic, Big Top, and Jaime, labels which have all shown up 1960s
releases in the usual areas.

Put -- has anyone ever heard of any of the Philles stuff showing up,
no doubt on London, in India, or somehow in the Philippines on 78.

I may try to put together a Phil Spector on 78 project (along with my
ongoing Joe Meek on 78 and 1st CHUM chart on 78 stuff)

Any thoughts