[78-L] DVDs made to order ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 16 20:22:38 PDT 2011

The other week I mentioned that "The Group" was finally available on DVD,
through Amazon. It's a DVD-R which is manufactured to order and it showed up
this week. In fact my account wasn't debited for over a week, or till they'd
actually manufactured it and had it ready to ship. The liner (front and back
cover) is unbelievably cheesy..looks like a 19th generation reduction of a
theater poster and is barely readable. I sampled a few seconds of the disc just
to make sure it plays (they caution you that it might not work in computers and
recorders). At the start, you're told that it's "from the best available
sources" and..this is a weird one..instead of chapters, you're given the
opportunity to press your >> button to advance the film in ten minute
increments. It IS wide screen..if the VHS version was also wide screen, then
all they've done is transfer from that master. And that's what you get for your
$17.99 (but with one item added to my order, I qualified for free shipping!).
Nice work if you can get it.