[78-L] stylus for vertical-cut Edisons

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Mar 16 13:03:24 PDT 2011

> --- On Tue, 3/15/11, Mark Bardenwerper<citrogsa at charter.net>  wrote:
>> >  In other words, reverse polarity on only one side?
> Yes!  One channel of a stereo cartridge is already wired
> out of phase.  This is so it will play a (lateral) monaural
> groove and send the signal to both channels IN phase.  By
> swapping the polarity of one channel (either one) it
> sends the signal from a vertically modulated groove in
> phase to both channels.

Several years ago I bought a preamp known as the WaxWorks II from a guy
in Florida who I believe was making them in his spare time.  It's a
little box with four dials -- (1) Null-balance; (2 ) Function (stereo,
mono, left channel, right channel, vertical); (3) Turnover; (4) and
Rolloff -- which makes it easy to switch from horizontal to vertical, to
select the better groove wall on some Emersons, etc.

Strangely I've never come across anyone else who owns this great little
preamp, which seems odd.  As I recall, it was not very expensive and has
worked flawlessly over the years.  Is anybody else out there a fan of
the WaxWorks II (named after the 1992 movie, I suppose)?

-- Jack  Raymond