[78-L] Lost Chords, lost and found

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Tue Mar 15 17:22:04 PDT 2011

I bought a copy of this a couple years ago at an estate sale along with Rust's Jazz Records, ADBD, The Complete Encyclopedia of Popular Music and Jazz, BG on Record and host of other books about Armstrong, Bechet, Mezzrow's book, etc.  All for about $30.  And the funny thing is I pulled out Lost Chords just the other day and started reading it finally.  Great stuff.

The sad part of the story is that I showed up in the afternoon after someone tipped me off about all the records there.  I somehow missed it in the paper and it was only a few miles from my house.  Right off the bat they were telling anyone for $50 they take ALL the records and it took a couple hours before someone bought them.  There were several thousand and mostly jazz, probably half LPs and half 78s.  Ouch.  I showed up right after the guy who bought them took his last car load home.

I think the guy was a trumpet player.  There was so much music related stuff there and the house was loaded with books.  Sadly, much of it was musty and not worth bringing home but was very happy to come home with the books I did.

Glenn