[78-L] 5 reasons to hate 78-L

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 14 20:19:13 PDT 2011

From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> Carnation Beer....from contented kegs!
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jeff Lichtman <jeff at swazoo.com> wrote:
>> >I take NO responsibility for consuming the milk theotetically
>> >once contained in these "milk boxes"...!
>> >Steven C. Barr
>> OK, Steven. It's time for you to invent a new type of beer bottle
>> that's shaped just like a milk bottle.

Two stories come to mind...!

First...when I was a young teen, and interested in all the dates and
similar markings found on bottles...a "local" (Bloomington, Ill's.)
bottler acquired the franchise for Dad'sl Old-Fashioned Root Beer.
He also acquired a large number of bottles from a defunct
brewery...these were the shorter "squatty" beer bottles that pre-dated
modern "long-necks!" They were mostly date-stamped with
forties dates...but a few actually antedated date stamping...!

Second...well before my time, my grandparents used to buy "root
beer extract" and make their own root beer...! One year they tried
bottling it in beer bottles; this proved spectacularly unsuccessful
since beer bottles still contain a tiny amount of yeat...and fermentation
will continue...! They spent the whole sunner listening to bottles
of root beer exploding in the basement...!

Steven C. Barr