[78-L] records in Houston

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 20:30:19 PDT 2011

Robert,

A year ago there wasn't really a deal to be had.  Joe got a few things but
the owner wasn't ready to part with them then.  It wasn't until they sat
there with no one else looking at them that he was ready.  In fact, the same
stack of 78s was sitting on top of the boxes this time that were there the
year before.

One of my most enjoyable finds happened back in December from an older
gentleman in Clyde, Texas which is near Abilene.  He had been given about
1,000 78s by his friend, Blackie Crawford, who was a dj in New Mexico and
who also had recorded for Starday.  He and Crawford had played together in
pick-up bands off and on for years.  Crawford passed on several years ago
and now this gentleman was ready to part with his friend's 78s.  He had seen
the tv edisode and called me.  We had a great time talking and he played his
steel guitar and there were many dj copies and some great small labels and
many very good country and rockabilly 78s in great shape.  Part of what I
enjoy most in hunting 78s is the contacts made and the stories heard.
And both quickness and patience are important.