[78-L] A rare 1933 aircheck? Comments?

Ronald Olsen rcavictorman at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 10 12:48:30 PST 2011

Thanks for the imput everybody! There seemed to have been some confusion as to
where it was recorded, and I had to check the label to make sure I hadn't misled
anyone. The label reads exactly as I transcribed it. David was bang-on about it
not being recorded in New York. The label is somewhat misleading. My guess is
the band performed in Bismark, ND (it's 412 miles from Winnipeg). The program
was sent by wire to New York where "Victor" (read: RCA) "Picked Up The Program"
(and broadcast it over the NBC chain) "and Recorded These Two Numbers" (in
Montreal, but we at NBC/RCA/Victor don't need to tell you that, and there's not
enough room on the label, anyway). A clever way to extoll the broadcasting,
receiving AND recording power of Sarnoff's empire all at once? Just a theory.

I'm sure David will agree the Rusty Warren mystery would have been easier to
solve. Again, thank you all.

RonO