[78-L] Rex Battle

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Mar 10 07:15:43 PST 2011

I've also had a portion of a broadcast featuring pianist
Rex Battle on an Apex pressing.

db

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I've mentioned before that I have a recording of the complete Grieg
Concerto with Rex Battle and Erno Rapee conducting the Toronto Philharmonic
Orchestra, on 4 12 inch 78s.  There is no mention on the label of a Company but
they are pressed records, not soft cuts and the labels are the same blue/purple
as Canadian Apex, Decca, Brunswick, etc.  When I brought this recording up last
time, I mentioned that I was frustrated by a locked groove which I couldn't
clear;  I tried cleaning, playing at half speed and even looked at it under a
microscope, only to discover that the locked groove was actually recorded from
the source.  I don't know the reason for this set because, being pressed, I
assume there were many copies of it manufactured, but it was a dreadful
performance, there was the aforementioned locked groove, there were one or two
other points where the source had skipped ahead a revolution, the side changes
are very sloppy, often having about a half of a minute overlap and the sound is
very poor quality.  But it was obviously from a broadcast.

db