[78-L] fast Beethoven

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Mar 9 18:55:53 PST 2011

Scherchen's Beethoven 4 and 8 are also fast.

I think they work well at that speed, but the orchestra gets breathless
in places. But slower renditions such as Klemperer's work well too. It
isn't just the tempo that matters, but the sharpness of phrasing within
that tempo.

Beecham's is another fast Eroica, and very successful.

Regards
--
Don Cox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't agree more, Don.  I love Celibedache's interpretations which are
almost invariably slower than the norm.  I love Mravinsky's readings which are
often at breakneck speed.  and Pletnev recently came out with a Beethoven cycle
which is quite controversial, (the Pastoral is bizarrisimo), and I've played and
enjoyed them many times.  But it is a complete package, not just the speeds.
 Playing very fast or very slow is quite taxing for the orchestra.  The last
movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th by Mravinsky is very fast and very exciting.  The
same can be said about Toscanini's reading of the orchestration of the Beethoven
Septet;  the last movement is taken at a pace that I've never heard a chamber
group manage.  Likewise, Celibedache's recording of "Bolero" is Magnificent, and
one of the slowest on records;  I never want to hear that piece done fast again,
(and I know many music lovers don't want to hear that piece again).  Ravel
himself apparently said that Bolero should always require 4 sides, not 3.  I'm
in Florida at the moment but when I get home, I want to see if I have the
Beethoven 4 & 8 by Scherchen.

db