[78-L] A rare 1933 aircheck? Comments?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 9 16:27:55 PST 2011

On 3/9/2011 7:23 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "Ronald Olsen"<rcavictorman at yahoo.ca>
>> I forgot I owned this until this past weekend, actually...
>> Years ago, and appropriately enough, I found a copy of 12" Victor Private
>> Record
>> (PR 701), by the Salvation Army's Winnipeg Citadel Band in a local thrift
>> shop.
>> The label on Side A ("March-The Canadian-Major J.Merritt") reads (sic.):
>>
>> "On Sept. 3, 1933 after forty hours without sleep-travelling 500 miles by
>> bus to
>> Bismark, N.D.-After Fulfilling Eleven Engagements-This Renowned Band
>> Broadcasted
>> A Program over The N.B.C. Chain Of 42 Stations. In New York 1800 Miles
>> Distant
>> "Victor" Picked Up The Program and Recorded These Two Numbers"
> <snip>
> Note that Apex (Compo) issued recordings of radio broadcasts as early
> as 1927. These were special programs celebrating Canada's sixtieth
> "burthday."
>
> Steven C. Barr

Earlier, even..two chunks from a church service were issued on their Radia-Tone
(sp?) label in 1925. I've also had a portion of a broadcast featuring pianist
Rex Battle on an Apex pressing.

That 1933 Victor Private Record was cut in Montreal, no matter what it says on
the label. Easily identified by the spacing of the double locked groove in the
runout.