[78-L] 10 reasons to love Joe Haymes

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 13:42:00 PST 2011

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> ------------------------------
>> Oh, that Julian Vein, he doesn't like Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Rushing and
>> Frank Sinatra. But even that doesn't manage to rile anyone.
>>
>>      Julian (the only one in step) Vein
>

> No...it's that you don't like Joe Haymes which makes people want to hunt you
> down like some wild beast!
>
> Which leads me to ask this,  Julian.  The sound and personnel of the Haymes
> band on record changed quite a bit from 1932 to 1937...is there anything of
> the Haymes era which you dislike less,  or have you damned it all in one
> swell foop?
>
> Here are my fave Haymes sides:
>
> Oh! Leo (Bud Freeman all over it)
> Truckin' (Bose)
> Sittin' on the Moon
> River Man
> Organ Grinder's Swing
> It's All Forgotten Now (nice vocal by bassist Gene Traxler)
> Gotta Go! (ARC version...great arrangement)
> Happy As The Day Is Long
> Wild Honey (really nice Freeman solo)
> Papa Tree Top Tall
>

> Taylor
Actually, I was basing my evaluation on the IAJRC CD, which held no
appeal for me. I have a few Haymes sides, mainly obtained for the
reverses. Some aren't bad, and they may not have been on the CD.

These form the sum total in my collection:

Freckle Face, You're Beautiful
I Saw Stars
I Wish I Were Twins
Lazybones
Let's Have A Party
Limehouse Blues
One Note Trumpet Player, The
Truckin'

I'm after the two with Chick Bullock. After I've completed my Bullock
collection I'll start casting my net wider.

      Julian Vein