[78-L] 10 reasons to love Joe Haymes

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Mar 9 10:47:17 PST 2011

> ------------------------------
> Oh, that Julian Vein, he doesn't like Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Rushing and
> Frank Sinatra. But even that doesn't manage to rile anyone.
>
>      Julian (the only one in step) Vein

No...it's that you don't like Joe Haymes which makes people want to hunt you
down like some wild beast!

Which leads me to ask this,  Julian.  The sound and personnel of the Haymes
band on record changed quite a bit from 1932 to 1937...is there anything of
the Haymes era which you dislike less,  or have you damned it all in one
swell foop?

Here are my fave Haymes sides:

Oh! Leo (Bud Freeman all over it)
Truckin' (Bose)
Sittin' on the Moon
River Man
Organ Grinder's Swing
It's All Forgotten Now (nice vocal by bassist Gene Traxler)
Gotta Go! (ARC version...great arrangement)
Happy As The Day Is Long
Wild Honey (really nice Freeman solo)
Papa Tree Top Tall

Taylor