[78-L] 16 Tons of Urban Legend?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 7 20:44:15 PST 2011

From: "Glenn Longwell" <glongwell at snet.net>
> Well, from a matrix number point of view Sixteen Tons was recorded first.
> Perhaps that means something. That's probably why I listed it as the A
> side in my database.

Once (1) records began to display "side designations"...and (2) record
companies realized the importance of "airplay" in selling pop records...
records began to feature "A: and "B" (or other designations!" Their
intention was to tell "jocks" "play THIS side!!!"

Radio usually accepted label opinion;  however, there were a
number of cases where public...or DJ...opinion over-ruled the
original label designations...!

Steven C. Barr