[78-L] Fading sounds [fwd]

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Mon Mar 7 00:20:37 PST 2011

>I can recall gasoline-powered "threshing machines" thar worked the
>same way; the governor only allowed a spark when the speed had
>deopped below a given level. Thus. their sound was "bang" "whoosh,
>whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, bang!"
>
>Steven C. Barr

The governor on this type of engine (called a "hit and miss" engine)
typically controls the exhaust valve, not the ignition. The intake
valve opens by cylinder vacuum, not with a cam. The governor holds
the exhaust valve open until the engine slows down to a set point, at
which point it allows the exhaust valve to close. The cylinder pulls
a vacuum on the next down stroke, which opens the intake valve and
lets a charge in. The spark plug fires every other revolution
regardless of whether there's a charge in the cylinder.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/