[78-L] very unusual "Messiah"

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Mar 6 10:45:58 PST 2011

This will have a very tenuous connection to 78s but I have just listened to the
most off-the-wall recording of "Messiah" imaginable.  David Lennick inspired me
to listen to it because he mentioned in a post a few days ago the Westminster
reissues on CD.  I purchased every Westminster reissue I could find several
years ago and they are now languishing on a shelf in my cold cellar, (insulated
so that it's no longer cold).  So I pulled out and listened for the first time
to "Messiah" conducted by Hermann Scherchen.  I knew I was going to post this
from the moment I heard the very weird treatment of the Overture.  I also
planned that the second sentence would be, "The most bizarre moment in the
recording has to be....."(whatever I was currently listening to).  So continuing
in that vein, the most outlandish section of the recording has to be the final
chorus.  Hermann Scherchen was generally known for his fast tempi and sections
of this "Messiah" move along with haste.  However, other sections are sooooo
sloooooow.  The final aria, "If God be for us...." and chorus, "Worthy is the
Lamb, Amen", (I was going to say generally requiring 3 x 12 inch 78 sides but as
far as I know, there was only ever one recording which included these numbers -
Beecham, 1947;  and there's the tenuous 78 reference) are almost 24 minutes
long, which would require 6 x 12 inch sides - the length of Schubert's
Unfinished Symphony!  The "Amen" chorus itself is 8 and a half minutes long!!
 Just to mention another extraordinary moment in the recording, "Worthy is the
Lamb" begins with a quiet woodwind chord followed by the entry of a slow, almost
whispering chorus - I've never heard another performance of this chorus which
doesn't begin with a fortissimo chord by full orchestra and a very loud choral
entry.  The previous aria, "If God be for us...." is almost 9 minutes long.  I
won't go through it number by number but I think you get the idea.

I'm generally a huge fan of eccentric "Messiah"s and thoroughly enjoyed this
one, but I'm surprised that any critical review I could find on this recording
is positive, (except for some reservations on the soloists).  Nobody seemed to
find this treatment objectionable.

db