[78-L] Shipwrecked records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 5 17:30:07 PST 2011

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> On 3/4/2011 12:04 PM, Michael Shoshani wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 11:48 -0500, David Lennick wrote:
>> +AD4 http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/10011
>> +AD4
>> +AD4 Interesting+ACE
>>
>> I don't understand how Sony Music owns the copyright to 1896 recordings
>> by the Metropolitan Orchestra. Those would have been Berliners, and to
>> the best of my knowledge the Victor Talking Machine Company did not have
>> any interest in Berliner Gramophone records - particularly the old
>> etched-process ones.
> That's interesting..would Berliner be considered an orphan label? Knock
> yourselves out, lawyer types.
> dl

Berliner in the US could be (dependent on the legal niceries of Johnson'
establishment of what became VTM); however. Berliner in Canada was
a legal corporation, established by Emile in 1899 (mainly because he
still enjoyed lrgal rights to his disc-record patents up here, unlike in
the US...!

Steven C. Barr