[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology ^

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 5 13:57:01 PST 2011

At 20:48 05/03/2011, RS wrote:
>Now hold on there, pardner.
>Since when are these sounds gone, faded or even extinct?  There are
>still plenty of radios that are (a) analog tuned, or (b), if
>digital, tune in less than the "standard" 9- or (in the Americas)
>10-kHz "channelized" segments

But the sound of tuning an AM radio across the dial at 11.30 PM on a
cold winter night is radically different than it was say in the 60
and 70s due to the changes in FCC regulations about clear channel
frequencies, longer broadcast days for small stations (albeit a flea
watt power) and the same networked mostly talk programming found at
least once within every 100 khz segment. To me, what was once a
tapestry of sound is now a grungy mess of white noise