[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Sat Mar 5 10:11:03 PST 2011

On 05/03/2011 16:55, David Lennick wrote:

> And then you'd order everyone to turn on (or off) any lights they might need
> during the next two hours and to keep their hands off the television set so you
> could get a clean recording off AM radio (or FM..

Mine is a later era to many of the people here, but many of my off-air
recordings of BBC comedy shows were marred by the multiple clicks of the
flourescent strip light being switched on in our kitchen, followed by a
large audio splat a few minutes later when it was switched off again.

Even more recently, I remember trying to record some of the vintage
American shows from whenradiowas.com circa 1999, only to find that my
dialup connection couldn't cope with the Real Audio stream, dropping to
a much lower resolution feed.

I suppose the current one I might look back on with misty-eyed nostalgia
in the future is the squeal my DAB radio makes when it temporarily loses
lock on the incoming signal when the weather is bad. I doubt I will, though!

--
Martin.