[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Mar 5 04:45:26 PST 2011

On 3/4/2011 4:01, David Lennick wrote:
> On 3/4/2011 4:52 PM, kil wrote:
>> From: "David Lennick"
>>> Here are a few more lost sounds, from the radio-tv list where this thread
>>> first
>>> turned up:
>>>
>>> gas station air-lines that 'ding' a bell
>>>
>> That one is not lost.  We have a Hess Station that still does that.  It's
>> still free too.
>> RayK
>>
> I think that was referring to the "ding" you'd hear as you drove onto the
> property, to alert the attendant (remember "attendants"?), not the air hose
> (glad to hear there's still free air somewhere though).

They did run on hoses which were trailed across the drives. One end was
connected to the pneumatic ringer and the other end was plugged. When a
tired compressed the hose, it would send a pressure pulse to the ringer.
I remember. I ran gas stations until the 80's.

And cars still get "tuneups". When the points, timing and fuel mixture
were just right, the car actually made a distinct tone at idle.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.