[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 15:49:12 PST 2011

Well, some are still with us in slightly different form:

>short wave radio 'sounds'

>the weird thing CB/Ham radio 'SSB' (Single Sideband) does to a human voice

Apply too much noise-reduction/declick to your wave files and you get something mighty close, but that's avoidable.  The crappy sound of a cell phone comes xxxx close to both of these and there's usually no way to fix that.

>I'm thinking that repeated clicking on the telephone switch might have been a
>way to reach the operator (remember "operators") at one time..anyone confirm?

Yes.  It flashed the light on the switchboard.

Don't miss the party line, although 78-L gets mighty close to that sometimes, too.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.