[78-L] Silly Season on eBay

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 3 20:26:11 PST 2011

On 3/3/2011 11:07 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "agp"<agp2176 at verizon.net>
>> This one boggles my mind
>>
>> The description on it says:
>>
>> Personal Record; 126-P 2 people we probably don't know
>>
>> The  URL is:
>>
> Point is (which the seller probably doesn't know...?!) that ANYBODY
> with the necessary funds could have a "Personal Record" made by
> Columbia (or several other record companies...!). How GOOD the
> artist was/wasn't was NOT a factor...

The seller obviously KNOWS this.  That was what he means when he
sarcastically said that the record was by 2 people we probably don't know.

> all the company wanted was
> the money...! The resulting 78's are only of interest to "ultra-collectors"
> like myself...whose aim is, as Lennick puts it, EFREM!! In my own
> case, that should be EF78(n-c)REM..."n-c" meaning NON-classical...!

Which is why he has a high buy it now price in case it IS by 2 people
that someone knows is rare and valuable.  Othwise, the 99 cent minimum
will allow it to go at a reasonable price.
> Steven C. Barr
> And no, I'm not planning on bidding on this...my experience with "xBay"
> has been a sad litany of losing to bidders with "autosnipe" apps...!
> _______

No, it is because you don't bid high enough.  You can place a high bid
early and if it is higher than the snipers, you win.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com