[78-L] Speeds and Somewhat Less Than Happy Feet

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 25 11:31:07 PST 2011

 Reason I asked about "Some of These Days": I've been playing with Audacity, and wanted to mix 2 transfers into 1, thinking
that it might overcome some of the surface noises (it did not!) ... I sped-up the Edison Site version, but no matter what I
did, they'd synch only at the start & end;  in between, they drifted back & forth. So, one or both changed speeds during the
selection, but eventually caught-up with each other near the end!

 Now, here's a new sensation:  A Vitaphone disc from KING OF JAZZ,  which someone has decided needs to be slowed down around
10% to match the picture.  Problem is, the picture is from a surviving sound-on-film print, and isn't the same length that a
1930 Vitaphone print would have been.   Hear The Rhythm Boys slog through molasses, a drunken MC, and some stranger dubbing
for Paul Whiteman!  You'd think this would have been noticed by the record's owner, but no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYDGdVvQjUY