[78-L] George Bugbee, pianist with Weems, Fields

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Feb 24 14:31:56 PST 2011

Al,  I've read in several places that it was The Maestro himself who blew
into the bowl of water with the straw!

Although I'l admit to having a somewhat perverse affection for the Rippling
Rhythm stuff,  I'll put in another plug for the Shep Fields and his New
Music sides...the all-reed band on Bluebird.  My fave of them is the
curiously titled "Ooh!  Does Your Mother Know That You Smoke"  which is one
damn odd song with all these oddly placed sharps and flats but boy it is one
swinging record,  with a great vocal (don't recall her name) and a fine
clarinet solo by Gus Bivona...hot stuff!  And not a ripple to be heard.

Taylor