[78-L] RCA 31-0000 series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 22 20:11:12 PST 2011

On 2/22/2011 10:58 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "David Lennick"<dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> 31-0000 is "Bluebird Series, Non-Breakable"..I have Al Goodman doing
>> covers of
>> "South Pacific" and "Miss Liberty" in box sets in this series, which
>> didn't
>> last long. Budget priced, at that..Cinderella was probably transferred to
>> the
>> Y- series (at about double the price) by 1951.
>> These records aren't particularly scarce but the album might be.
>>
> This would have been the 1949-50 revival of Bluebird...which as DL notes had
> a short "lifespan!" IIRC, I have a number of these; however, my 78's are now
> in
> complete DISarray...! Worse yet, the relevant computer files were wiped out
> by a so-called "expert"...so I have NO data!!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Oddly enough, Canada held onto "Bluebird Series" for much longer. Aside from
using it for Country and Western recordings (I think all the early Homer &
Jethro Victors had that blue label), many classic Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw
records were still available with their original Bluebird numbers into the
early 50s. Bluebird then became a budget classical Lp label in the early 50s,
eventually replaced by Camden, and it continued as a children's label at all 3
speeds for quite a while.

The ARLD shows July 1949 as the issue date for 31-0001 and October 1949 for
30-0010.