[78-L] Victor Herbert plays Mendelssohn..Mendelssohn loses

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:38:30 PST 2011

As I recall, the band hustles through it like a bat out of hell "con tutta forza".  The cornet triple-tonguing at the end is impressive but quite machine-gun like.  Also, the band placement is VERY close on the horn and unpleasantly "in your face" sonically, considering how forced the performance is.  Not a favourite Sousa record of mine.  There is an acoustic Victor of Frank LaForge doing the original piano piece, I think, which I've always wanted to hear.  The Brazilian pianist Guiomar Novaes also recorded Gottschalk's "Grand fantaisie triomphale sur l'hymne nationale bresilien" both acoustically and electrically for Victor.  It was something of a signature piece for her; she played it to the end of her life.

Gottschalk was much better served on piano rolls than early recordings:  Ignaz Friedman did "The Banjo" for Duo-Art,  LaForge did "Pasquinade" for Ampico, Marguerite Volavy did "Last Hope" for Ampico, I think Teresa Carreno (a Gottschalk pupil, briefly) did some on Welte T-100 and Hupfeld DEA rolls, and I even remember a surpising amount was available on Welte Licencee, including "The Union", but I can't remember the pianist offhand. PC