[78-L] I'm Dickens, He's Fenster

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 23:04:22 PST 2011

  I have a better vision of what/where those places are, now that I've lived in Brooklyn and worked in or toured all 5
boroughs. And there's a remote historical conection:  Turns out that one pair of great-grandfather & mother was living in
The Bronx in 1910 - a Scotsman born in Pennsylvania with parents born in Canada, his wife born in Sweden, their 4 kids born
in New York, and the mother-in-law born in Sweden in 1834.   What's odd is that the Census-taker asked 'what language
spoken', although it isn't on the form. Odder is that he's got "Sweden / German" written in to Albertine & Bertha's info.
Would someone born in Sweden speak German?  That's a mystery.

  Funny:  More than once, my friends in NYC mentioned that I use "more Yiddish words than people born down here".  I
attribute that to reading /hearing /watching so much Marx Bros, Jolson, Cantor, Burns, Brooks, etc etc.  And there are
Jewish people outside of NYC, I informed them.