[78-L] Bye Bye, Borders

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 17 06:23:08 PST 2011

Odd thing though is a comparison between Half Price Books and
Borders. Granted they are 2 different types of store, but my HPB is
packed every time I go in there and we buy about $90 of stuff (Books,
DVDs, 78s!) there a month. I used to spend that much monthly on books
at Borders about 5 years

Last few thing I wanted to get from Borders weren't in stock and had
to be ordered. They weren't unusual titles or anything like that. So
why should I have them order it when I can go to amazon and get it in
a shorter amount of time, and if ordered as a used copy get it
cheaper even with the shipping.

One other thing I see affecting Borders (and this does tie to 78s) is
that what I saw in the CDs at Borders last time was pathetic. Not
because of the stocking, but rather, well, I looked at what was on
offer and said 'This stuff is crap!', a direct reflection on the
music biz.Yet that was the bulk of what was on offer. Really
interesting stuff like that of the Boogie Woogie set I mentioned in
my lonely thread from a few days ago. At HPB I can get the good stuff I crave.

I'd advise Borders to jettison the music and concentrate on printed matter.