[78-L] Vitrolac: the spelling that would not die!

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 14 10:21:45 PST 2011

 (Yes, I know we've gone over this before)

 I think most modern uses of Vitrolac can be traced to "The Fabulous Phonograph",  BUT Roland Gelatt shouldn't be blamed,
because "Vitrolac" shows up even in RCA literature. It's now almost always without the c , the way other products are now
always wrong ("duck tape" became "duct tape", even though it's useless on ducts! )

Some quick Google Books results:

 DuPont named some of its stains, varnishes, and auto paint products "Vitrolac" since at least 1917.  In a 1931 item about
Vinylite, the records are called Vitrolac.  Modern Mechanix (Feb 1932) called it "Vitrolac", without mentioning RCA or
Victor.     It again was used by:   Electronics magazine (1932) ; Saturday Review (1949); Journal of the Audio Engineering
Society (1953) .  Even the RCA Review (1949) quoted a 1932 article & repeated "Vitrolac" !

 Funny that DuPont never noticed or cared about their brand name being hijacked.