[78-L] Henri Litolff's Robespierre Overture

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 13 19:39:36 PST 2011

For some crazy reason, WERM omits Litolff entirely and jumps from Liszt to
Locatelli in the first edition, even though the famous Scherzo was available in
Irene Scharrer's recording and there were two old recordings of the Robespierre
Overture in arrangements for band. The Boston Pops recorded the  overture but
well after 1939 and it's in the 1951 WERM supplement.

The two band recordings, which may be old enough to have been around in 1939 (I
can't tell from the catalog numbers), are as follows:

TOULON NAVY BAND: GRAMOPHONE (FRENCH HMV) L 781/2
KNELLER HALL BAND: STERNO 9027 (this definitely is before 1939)

WERM gives the title as MAXIMILLIAN ROBESPIERRE, subtitled "Le Dernier Jour de
la Terreur", but I'm pretty sure the Boston Pops disc on Victor calls it
ROBESPIERRE. All (plus Scharrer and Lympany's recordings of the Scherzo) are in
WERM 1951.

dl