[78-L] eBay situation_any advice?

marimbamoods at comcast.net marimbamoods at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 16:40:28 PST 2011

I am interested in a record on eBay that I have not yet bid on. Because I do not know the seller, I checked his feedback history. He has sold very few 78’s, and i noticed the following feedback from a prior 78 record sale:

“it is what it is-----record broke in 17 pce's because of packageing-pcs in can”

therefore, I emailed the seller regarding the record I am interested in. perhaps list members here are familiar with the claxtonola.com packaging info. below is the eBay email dialogue, which speaks for itself.

There are already bids on this record, so if I do not bid no it that will not prevent this guy from making the sale anyway and shipping it to someone. I am still interested in the record.

Any suggestions?

David Harvey

EMAIL #1

Dear 717russ48152430,

hi, thanks for offering this vintage 7 inch victor disc. because this record is made of fragile shellac, not vinyl, are you willing to pack this record as described here?:

http://claxtonola.com/shipping78s/index.html

thank you for your time and attention. i appreciate that.

best, david harvey

- dhbvmm

EMAIL #2

Dear dhbvmm,

no. don't know anything about it.

- 717russ48152430

EMAIL #3

the reason i asked about proper packaging is simple. according to your feedback history, you have shipped a shellac 78 before that arrived broken and have received negative feedback because of that.

when a vintage recording, such as this victor record, is destroyed a piece of history is lost forever. a monetary refund will not replace a vintage record that cannot be replicated.

i have offered clearly presented packaging information including photographs for your information, and asked if you would be willing to pack that way. you replied:

"no. don't know anything about it."

therefore, how will you pack this victor disc so that breakage does not occur?

best, david harvey