[78-L] dewarping shellac, was AFRS

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Feb 12 09:17:03 PST 2011

Try this. You'll need a nice flat piece of wood, like a chopping block.
Place the warm, relaxed record on the block. Wearing either a glove
(cotton, white type) or using your bare hand rub the disc with an even,
slight downward pressure in a circular motion, with the groove, until it
begins to cool. It will cool fairly quickly due to the temperature of
the wood. Then leave it alone for a few minutes to allow it to cool
completely. Voila... a flat record. I've never had a record go out of
round using this method.
That said, how you warm up a standard shellac record is a whole other
matter. None of this will work on Edison DDs or on laminated Columbias
or OKehs. It has to be one piece shellac.
Malcolm

*******