[78-L] Purple People Eater

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Feb 7 19:37:13 PST 2011

From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> It just occurred to me as I was checking ePay for goodies, that most of
> Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater" on MGM 12651 are by Quality Records,
> of Canadian manufacture.
> I bought a copy awhile ago which I believe was made in the US. At least
> there is no credit given as to the manufacturer on the label. Every
> other label I've ever seen of this recording is Canadian.
> So I'm wondering what my copy is worth, and just how rare it is.
> Is it possible that it is a US first run pressing and that, when the
> song hit it really big, further runs were jobbed out to Canada?
> Mal "mostly just curious" R

No...that was (IIRC) a 1958 hit. By that fairly late date there was minimal
demand/sale for 78 rpm discs in the US; in fact, the major labels were
mostly in the process of discontinuing their production...! Here in Canada
OTOH 78's were still being pressed and sold, since there were places
away from the cities which still didn't have electricity. I have seen both
Victors and Columbias 0n 78 dating from mid-1960.

Steven C. Barr