[78-L] For those who think the hobby will die

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Feb 3 20:24:57 PST 2011

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Taylor Bowie wrote:
>>> I still think that in about 50 years or so, the last surviving 78
>>> collector
>>> will inherit (or be stuck with...?!) ALL the remaining 78
>>> collections...?!
>>> One wonders what part of "ALL 78's ever issued" will be included
>>> therein...?!
>>>
>>> Steven C. Barr
>> Steven,
>> I think it's more likely that in 50 years you will be 100+ and you will
>> still be telling all the 78 collectors,  many of whom have yet to be
>> born,
>> that the end days are upon us.
>> Taylor
> The 78ers' "End Time" will be the last spin at the Last Chance Saloon.
> Once the last 78 has been spun, the Sun might as well engulf us.

WHICH "Last Chance" imbibery? Over 40 years ago, I was in the USAF
in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany; a Gasthaus across the street from
our "Kaserne" (barracks" was nicknamed "The Last Chance" because
it was the last place you could buy a glass of draft beer on your walk
back to your barracks "home" and your bed...!

However, I used to frequent another Gasthaus about half a block away...
I was a bona fide regular there, and even had my own glass (a German
practice). I did this just to avoid all the "GI's" as well as brush up my
German! I miss that GOOD German draft beer...!!

Steven C. Barr