[78-L] Roy Eldridge 100

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 10:12:24 PST 2011

ah, as always hats off to Al and Julian -
@ Al - (re: Arcadia Ballrom LP Jazz Archives #14) agreed, and because of that LP, my dad drove me to hear Franz Jackson as a teenager and Franz became my mentor. It is Roy's (and nearly most other people in that band as well to be honest) best work - the Gasser was from that LP I like so much, but all of it is there - and a great band - Prince Robinson Franz Jackson and Joe Eldridge is a great reed section and with Truck Parham on bass Panama Francis on drums, superb (I really like Roy with that bass and drums backing him, cup muted).
@ Julian - I think Norman Granz could get the dubious distinction of being able to record great musicians badly - only to, on the next session have a great record (sometimes even with a similar group). Agree on that Diz and Roy LP (boring session - was there no or too much booze at hand*??). You are right "Sunday" is Buddy Tate and His Buddies - nice Jacquet on that LP (I like Jacquet quite a bit when he does not squeal - "The Message" LP on Argo Illinois is in great form ....
Yves Francois
* I had a session where a musician (who will stay unmamed since he has passed) imbibed rather too much and the session as a result was way below par, even though a couple of very good musicians were present. Elected not to issue the results on compact disc from that session ...