[78-L] Roy Eldridge 100

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 12:46:56 PST 2011

The recordings I have of Roy Eldridge are,unfortunately,confined to a couple of
CDs of Gene Krupa's
band.I once owned a Decca 78 of "Twilight Time" which was a late '40s issue.I
would like to find more
of his Decca output.The only other albums I have of him are with Fletcher
Henderson(on French RCA)
and a Columbia LP which also featured Wingy Manone and one other trumpeter.The
one cut on the

latter album was a late '30s version of "After You've Gone" which foreshadowed
the version he cut with
Krupa in the early '40s which I heard back in 1969 on a Columbia specialty
album.The reverse of "Twi-
light Time" was "Fish Market" which appeared on a Time-Life LP from around 30
years ago.That 78
was the only recording I had of his band.On the CD Al Simmons sent of those
Minton's broadcasts had
trumpeter Joe Guy singing and playing "Rare Back" which was "Drum Boogie".Guy
was somewhat a

better singer than a trumpeter."Let Me Off Uptown" with Anita O'Day was a
classic.