[78-L] Roy Eldridge 100

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 08:54:32 PST 2011

He was absolutely great but...he often annoyed me with his pyrotechnical
high note ego flights.
I believe that he was better off in an orchestra where he was given one or
two chorus solos.
He would go off the wall  and out of context with small group recordings and
when he sat in live.
He did behave himself when he played in a  live Trad Dixie band venue.
He was extremely compettitve and, often, that trait dominated his playing.
That being said he belongs in the hall of fame as an important  jazz
musician.

Al Simmons