[78-L] Orrin Tucker close to 100

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Jan 27 14:25:29 PST 2011

I met Tucker once. It was probably in the early 1980s. He was interested in taking over a Hollywood Blvd. facility that used to be a ballroom and now was just a cheap bar/restaurant with a large dance floor. He wanted to turn it into an old-fashioned western dance hall and I think when I got there to talk to him, Tex Williams was performing to try out the place. I'm pretty sure Hank Penny had told me about it and corralled Tex into going down there. Nothing came of it and Tex died shortly afterward, but I always wondered what happened to Tucker. In my brief time knowing him, he was crafty, knowledgeable about the business, and VERY cheap.  Maybe that's why it didn't happen.

I hadn't thought about this occurrence in some time; I'd have to go through my archives and see if I took any photos that day in the ballroom. It was definitely a strange incident.

Cary Ginell