[78-L] Popyeye, Spinach, Hell, etc.

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 25 13:04:11 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 12:58 -0800, Taylor Bowie wrote:

> Any earlier use of the word "Hell" on a pop tune record?

Not sure about earlier, but definitely later. I had a Decca 78 that
seems to have been part of an album of college fight songs; Dick Powell
sang the Notre Dame song on one side and Rambling Wreck from Georgia
Tech on the other. The latter had all the "Hell"s intact, which for a 78
surprised me. "A helluva-helluva-helluva-helluva-HELL of an engineer!"

A quick search online says this was recorded in August of 1938.

MS