[78-L] William "Billy" Costello and other animated short personalities on record

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 24 21:47:49 PST 2011

For what it's worth, the "Popeye" voice predates any actual Popeye cartoons by
a number of years and on Waring's records, it's done by drummer Poley
McClintock. A similar voice sings the last line of Hoagy Carmichael's "Barnacle
Bill the Sailor" in 193..still before Costello or anyone else was voicing Popeye.

Costello also recorded as Red Pepper Sam. Great stuff.

dl