[78-L] Cylinder machine sighting

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 22 16:49:07 PST 2011

On 1/22/2011 3:11 PM, victrola78s at aol.com wrote:

>   Notice how deftly the cylinder was removed from the mandrel. Certainly a less trembling hand than the one belonging to "Shakey Jake" on YouTube, where the guy drops the cylinder onto the TechTV studio floor with a resounding shattering noise. You know, the video where the guy, after dropping the cylinder, starts to say "Oh, fu...", then settles for "sh.t" instead. Dennis "Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes" Forkel

He did NOT drop the cylinder.  It shattered in his hand, so I don't know
what you mean by the resounding of the shattering on the floor.  Most of
the pieces remain in his hand.  It is also interesting to note that
because it was a black wax cylinder it was most likely not a
one-of-a-kind recording as he was claiming.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com