[78-L] Free mp3 recorder

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jan 22 11:13:35 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Royal Pemberton wrote:

> The iTunes on my MacMini can convert from wav to mp3.

Hope your version of iTunes does a better job of conversion to MP3
than mine does...in my experience the encoder in iTunes is a rotten,
artifact-inflicting P.O.S. compared to the LAME encoder. I use the
AAC encoder (MP4) in iTunes, which is fine, but if I'm doing an MP3 I
use LAME within Sound Studio. (At home I greatly prefer uncompressed
AIFF or WAV files, and for storage/archiving I compress with the
Apple Lossless encoder -- for now...)

More to the topic -- spyware concerns notwithstanding, this free MP3
recorder seems quite similar in concept to the WireTap software from
Ambrosia (but that is Mac-only software, I believe). I would agree
with "Banjo Bud" that you're better off with Audacity and LAME.

Take care,

Joe
—
Poof read? Why brother?