[78-L] Dance with me Henry

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jan 17 21:24:18 PST 2011

From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> I have a version of "Dance With Me,Henry" on an off label 78 called
> Value.The
artists
> are not mentioned.Lois Music,as I understand it,was the publishing arm of
> Syd
Nathan's
> KING-Federal-DeLuxe complex of labels.Hank Ballard,recorded for the green
> and
silver
labelled Federal Label,as "The Royals'.
<snip>
Following WWII and the AFM record ban...the record industry suddenly
expanded
BIG TIME! Anyone who wanted to run their own label could find companies who
could provide EVERY stage of creating a record...and there were A LOT who
did! "Lois Music" would be paid the requisite royalties for every record
sold...
however many (or few?!) that may have been. In fact, before a data-fatal
computer crash, I was trying to compile a database covering all the many
"multi-track" 78's of the late forties and fifties.

This is probably a case where some "Joe Gabroni" decided to start a new
label; there were plenty of competent singers to be had, as well as bands
desperate for paying work. If anyone out there is trying to compile a
"Abrams Files" database of 1940-196? 78's...well, you have my deepest
sympathy...?!

Steven C. Barr